19 August 2008

A very good find...


I can't believe I haven't blogged about this yet!

As you may know I am having a lot of fun sorting through my newly acquired stash of vintage buttons for my button shop, and amongst the treasure trove I found this very vintage Homepride cloth flour bag which was full of old buttons.

I've never seen anything like it myself before so I did a bit of digging around and asking around and I got this reply from Homepride, it makes for very interesting reading.

"The item was from Paul bros, note it refers to Cambridge mill which was built after 1925. Paul Bros was sold to Spillers in 1945 so unless they used up all the old packaging it is no later than 1945. so is likely between 1925 and 1945. I think the character on the bag was called Tommy Homepride but I've never seen such an early reference to him before, he had a series of books in the 1950's."

So I am hanging on to it, it is safely stored away from cats who like to sleep on important things, until I find something to do with it. I might frame it one day, maybe for my studio or maybe for my kitchen.

If anyone knows anything else about these cloth flour bags I'd love to know!

0 comments: