30 July 2009

summer sale + a cupcake recipe

Lemon Balm Necklace - was $36.50, now $30
I'm multitasking today!

First of all, I am having a little summer sale in my Etsy shop, stop by for some lovely bargains!

Magpie Earrings, were $19 now $15

And now to cupcakes....
Lemon Drizzle Cupcakes



As you may have realised I have something of a fondness for cupcakes lately, mainly due to the fact that my oven is awful at cooking big cakes but perfect for little cupcakes.

My favourite cake is a lemon drizzle cake, sweet and sharp and always very moist. I make it regularly.

This is adapted from a standard victoria sponge recipe and makes about 12 cupcakes.

Ingredients

for the cakes:
100g self raising flour
100g caster sugar
100g butter
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
dash vanilla extract
zest of one lemon

for the icing:

juice of one lemon
approximately 3 tablespoons icing sugar

To make:

Cream together butter and sugar til light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and the lemon zest. Slowly fold in the flour til combined. If your mixture feels a little dry add a bit more lemon juice or milk.

Spoon into cupcake cakes on a cupcake tray and bake for 10-15 minutes at gas mark 6 / 200c.

Whilst they bake make the icing by slowly whisking in sifted icing sugar til you get an icing with the consistency of single cream. I think i used about 3 tablespoons, but feel free to use less or more depending on how it turns out.

Wait for the cakes too cool, not so they are stone cold but just a bit warm. Poke each cake once witha fork so you have some 'channels' for the icing. Drizzle icing sugar on to each cake until it is nicely coated, I found a pastry brush was good at the end to coat the cakes on top.



Eat immediately!

xx


1 comments:

broadstone said...

Thanks for the recipe, I will enjoy making these, and my other half, will enjoy eating them.lol.